In May 2017, Pakistan’s Border Action Team (BAT) had laid a trap, after intruding around 250 metres into the Indian territory, and ambushed a patrol team of Indian security forces. BAT also mutilated the bodies of two Indian soldiers — Naib Subedar Paramjit Singh of 22 Sikh Infantry and Head Constable Prem Sagar of 200th Battalion of BSF. The incident took place in the Krishna Ghati sector of Kashmir.
According to PTI, BAT is specifically used by Pakistan for cross-border operations. “In Pakistan, the SSG (special services group) forms the core of BAT. Its primary task is to dominate the LoC by carrying out disruptive actions in the form of surreptitious raids.”
Pakistani Army claims itself to be a “professional” force that never indulges in barbaric acts. In a press release, Pakistan’s ISPR on Monday said: “Pakistan Army is a highly professional force and shall never disrespect a soldier, even Indian.” ISPR also denied having violated the ceasefire agreement. “Pakistan Army did not commit any ceasefire violation on the Line of Control or a BAT action in the Buttal sector (India’s Krishna Ghati sector) as alleged by India. Indian blame of mutilating Indian soldiers’ bodies is also false,” the ISPR said.
According to a report by Aaj Tak, BAT members include commandoes of Pakistani Army and terrorists. They are experts in guerrilla tactics and work along with Pakistan’s special service group. Pakistan also includes terrorists in BAT so that it can disown them when caught.
The report says that BAT is trained for eight months by Pakistani Army and for four-week by Pakistan’s Air Force.
BAT is a symbol of Pakistan’s cowardish and barbaric war policy against India. It is believed that the BAT members get an appraisal when they ambush Indian soldiers on the border and mutilate their bodies. According to ABP News, BAT members are from Pakistani Army responsible for securing the country’s borders but their deeds are at par with the acts of terrorists nurtured by Islamabad. When Pakistan fails to take on Indian soldiers in a direct combat, it employs BAT for slaying Indian soldiers.
Pakistani army provides cover to BAT when it embarks on its mission on the LOC. On Monday also, when Pakistani BAT set up the ambush in Krishna Ghati sector and waited for long for the Indian patrol team, Pakistani troops provided them cover by attacking India’s two forward posts with rockets and mortar bombs along LoC in district Poonch of Jammu and Kashmir.
BAT has committed barbaric acts against Indian soldiers on several occasions in past. Here are some examples:
- June 22, 2017: BAT killed two Indian soldiers in Kashmir. In retaliatory action, Indian Army killed two BAT members.
- May 1, 2017: Pakistan’s BAT intruded into Indian territory, laid a trap, killed two Indian soldiers and mutilated their bodies.
- October 28, 2016: An Indian soldier was killed and his body mutilated by Pakistani militants close to LoC in Machil sector.
- January 2013: BAT killed and mutilated body of Lance Naik Hemraj. Lance Naik Sudhakar Singh was also beheaded. Constable Rajinder Singh of BSF suffered injuries in the attack.
- June 2008: BAT captured a soldier of 2/8 Gorkha Rifles when he lost his way in Kel sector. His body was found beheaded after a few days.
- 1999 Kargil conflict: Pakistani captors tortured Captain Saurabh Kalia. They later handed over Captain Kalia’s mutilated body to India.
- February 2000: Seven Indian soldiers were killed when terrorist Ilyas Kashmiri led a raid on the Indian Army’s ‘Ashok Listening Post’ in Nowshera sector. Kashmiri had also taken back to Pakistan the head of 24-year-old Bhausaheb Maruti Talekar of 17 Maratha Light Infantry.
Source: Financial Express