There are several Interesting Facts About Indian Culture & History which most of the people are unknown of. India also known as Republic of India is one of the largest countries not only in terms of area and population, but also in terms of diversity. It is the seventh largest country in world in terms of area which is 3,287,263 sq km and second in terms of population which is 1.35 billion. It exists in South Asia region and has 29 states and 10 major neighboring countries such as Pakistan, China, Afghanistan, Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Myanmar, Tibet and Maldives.
The diversity is because of the diverse history of 100,000 years which comprises the largest battles, invasions and cultural amalgans. Indian is the cradle of the human race, the birthplace of human speech, the mother of history, the grandmother of legend (Source: ScoopWhoop)
Here are some of the top Interesting Facts About Indian Culture & History which you must know.
- India never invaded any other country in past 10,000 years of history.
- India has invented the Number System.
- Zero was invented by the great mathematician Aryabhatta.
- The Takshila is World’s first university in 700BC. More than 10,500 students from all over the world studied more than 60 subjects. The University of Nalanda built in the 4th century BC was one of the greatest achievements of ancient India in the field of education.
- Sanskrit is the mother of all the European languages. Sanskrit is the most suitable language for computer software, reported in Forbes magazine, July 1987.
- Ayurveda is the earliest school of medicine known to humans. Charaka, the father of medicine consolidated Ayurveda 2500 years ago. Today Ayurveda is fast regaining its rightful place in our civilization.
- Although modern images of India often show poverty and lack of development, India was the richest country on earth until the time of British invasion in the early 17th Century.
- The art of Navigation was born in the river Sindh 6000 years ago. The very word Navigation is derived from the Sanskrit word NAVGATIH. The word navy is also derived from Sanskrit ‘Nou’.
- Bhaskaracharya calculated the time taken by the earth to orbit the sun hundreds of years before the astronomer Smart.; Time taken by earth to orbit the sun: (5th century)365.258756484 days.
- The value of pi was first calculated by Budhayana, and he explained the concept of what is known as the Pythagorean Theorem. He discovered this in the 6th century long before the European mathematicians.
- Algebra, trigonometry and calculus came from India; Quadratic equations were by Sridharacharya in the 11th Century;The largest numbers the Greeks and the Romans used were 10^6(10 to the power of 6) whereas Hindus used numbers as big as 10^53(10 to the power of 53) with specific names as early as 5000 BCE during the Vedic period. Even today, the largest used number is Tera 10^12(10 to the power of 12).
- According to the Gemological Institute of America, up until 1896, India was the only source for diamonds to the world.
- USA based IEEE has proved what has been a century-old suspicion in the world scientific community that the pioneer of Wireless communication was Prof. Jagdeesh Bose and not Marconi.
- The earliest reservoir and dam for irrigation was built in Saurashtra.
- According to Saka King Rudradaman I of 150 CE a beautiful lake called ‘Sudarshana’ was constructed on the hills of Raivataka during Chandragupta Maurya’s time.
- Chess (Shataranja or AshtaPada) was invented in India.
- Sushruta is the father of surgery. 2600 years ago he and health scientists of his time conducted complicated surgeries like cesareans, cataract, artificial limbs, fractures, urinary stones and even plastic surgery and brain surgery. Usage of anesthesia was well known in ancient India. Over 125 surgical equipment were used. Deep knowledge of anatomy, physiology, etiology, embryology,digestion, metabolism, genetics and immunity is also found in many texts.
- When many cultures were only nomadic forest dwellers over 5000 years ago, Indians established
- Harappan culture in Sindhu Valley (Indus Valley Civilization)
- The place value system, the decimal system was developed in India in 100 BC.
These are the most Interesting Facts About Indian Culture & History. Being an Indian, these facts will help you be proud of your country and its diverse history.