What is Income Tax Return Filing?
Income tax is a document you file in which all the details related to income tax and how much you have paid your tax is entered. It contains details about your annual income tax return as well as tax liability. Filing ITR online will help you in getting a refund in case you pay more tax than what you are required to pay. If you fail to file your ITR online, you might have to pay penalty or face legal consequences.
Income Tax Return Filing – ITR Forms
There are various forms of income tax return filing as mentioned below :
- ITR-1 Form – Applicable for those individuals whose source of income is salary & interest.
- ITR-2 Form – Applicable for individuals or Hindu Undivided Families having any income other than ‘Profits and gains of business or profession.
- ITR-3 Form – Applicable for individuals or Hindu Undivided Families having income sources from ‘Profits and gains of business or profession.
- ITR-4 Form – Applicable for individuals or Hindu Undivided Families having income sources from ‘Profits and gains of business or profession.
- ITR-5 Form – Applicable for entities being a firm LLP, AOP, BOI is applicable for a person other than individuals, HUF.
- ITR-6 Form – Applicable to companies other than the ones which claim a deduction under section 11.
- ITR-7 Form – Applicable to all entities who should furnish a return of income under Section 139(4A), 139 (4B), 139(4C) or 139(4B).
- ITR V Form: The acknowledgement form of filing a return of income
Documents Required for Income Tax Return Filing
There are list of documents required for ITR filing online :
- Form 16 received from your employer
- Form 16 A received from banks
- PAN card of the applicant
- Bank statement of the applicant
- Investment proof of the applicant
- Home loan certificate (if any)
- Advanced tax payment receipts
- Property details
- Form 26 AS
File Income Tax Return Online for Salaried Employee
Here are step by step guide for ITR filing online :
- Open a e-filing website. Click on ‘ filing a income tax return’. A new window will open for your login.
- Use your user id (which is your pan no.),password ,DOB then click OK.
- Select the assessment year as 2018-19 from the drop-down menu, then select ITR-1 from the “ITR Form Name” drop-down menu.
- In the “Submission Mode” drop-down menu select “Upload XML” option.
Following this, it will ask you to select the appropriate option for ITR verification as mentioned in the below image.
- Select the option that suits you the best. and press continue.
- Download itr-1 for the assessment year(18-19). Prepare the itr filing online from downloaded software.
- Before preparing the itr filing online , gathered all the information regarding your income, tax payments, deductions, salary slips form 16 and 26 AS enter all the data and compute the tax.
- Generate and save the income tax return filing data in XML format.
- Upload the filled in ITR XML file which you have saved on your computer and enter the OTP received on your registered mobile number.
- Select “I agree to validate my Aadhaar details with UIDAI” and submit.
This is the complete guide on how to file income tax return online for salaried employee.